Skip to main content

Fear and the Parable of the Talents

This week I'm going to jump into Christ's parable of the talents in Matthew 25.

"And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey" (Matt. 25:15).

In the parable of the talents, Christ teaches us some very powerful lessons. He teaches us that we are not all given the same number of talents. God is a just God. Isn't he? Aren't we all equal in his eyes? Why is it that he seems to give some more talents than others?


There are a few things I would like to highlight from this scripture. First, the word talent can have many different meanings and applications, but in this post I am going to focus on the Greek word "talenton" which means "weight." Now if we read the scripture, it makes a lot more sense. Heavenly Father gives us weights or responsibilities according to our ability to handle them.

At the end of the parable, when the Lord reckons with the servants, the man who was given five talents doubled them to ten, the man given two also doubled them, but the man who received only one was afraid and went and hid his talent in the earth.

What is interesting is that the Lord gives each of the servants who doubled their talents an identical reward: he lets them enter into his joy and makes them ruler over many things (Matt. 25:21,23).
The only servant he was unhappy with was the one with one talent who didn't try.

Are we ever like the one talent man when given a responsibility? Do we shy away from it instead of taking it head on? Are we afraid we will make a mistake? We should never let the fear of failure keep us from trying. Did the other men who invested their talents to gain more have some struggles and lose a few talents along the way? Likely. Did they give up? No. They kept pushing and with the help of the Lord ended with double the amount they had.

Let's remember that it doesn't so much matter how MUCH the Lord has blessed us initially, or how many responsibilities he has given us, but what we DO with them. We must be wary of the scripture that says,"For of him unto whom much is given much is required; and he who sins against the greater light shall receive the greater condemnation" (D&C 82:3) .


Let us choose to work like the two faithful servants and not let our fear get in the way of success and blessings. Jesus Christ atoned for us because he knew we would mess up. If we never try, we will never mess up, but we will also never progress. Satan wants us to stop trying when we mess up. He wants us to think we have blown it and encourages us to beat up on ourselves.

Let's instead trust in the Lord and understand his perfect atonement better each day as we mess up, repent, and try to mess up less the next day. If we keep trying and investing our time, talents and energies in worthy pursuits, the Lord will help us, and (whether in this life or the next) he will bless us beyond our wildest dreams.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cave of Mental Illness

This is an essay I wrote in the Winter 2014 Semester for my Western Humanities class. I felt like I needed to share it. It is a bit long, but I assure you it's worth your time. Also, take some time to watch the quick video at the end. Jacob Hansen Professor Julie Ransom IHUM 201 Connection to Major 10 April 2014 The Cave of Mental Illness A mere seven months ago I had a different perception of reality. I found myself, as psychologist Kay Jamison puts it, “ enmeshed totally in the blackest caves of the mind ” (68). I, like Jamison, suffer from bipolar disorder. I was diagnosed about twenty months into my mission. Though I was in this cave, during the manic episode I experienced I felt more creative and energetic than I ever had. I felt little need to sleep and could think and make connections very quickly. I understood the world differently than others, and, so I thought, at a higher level. It was as if I had discovered a new revolutionary way of living and I was conf

Struggles with Perfectionism

 There are some days when we're just not feeling it. Sometimes we feel that all the cute churchy answers are nice on the outside but that they're really not going to make anything better. Sometimes it feels like wishful thinking. It seems weak.  At times I just want to rest in God's love. I just want to feel my Savior next to me. Sometimes I feel him there. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes there's a lot of negativity towards and around the church. And sometimes I can see why. I do see some things that are troubling. What I always hang on to is my personal relationship with Jesus Christ and the gift of the Holy Ghost I've been given. I know that sounds cheesy to some. They don't think it's a real thing. But I have felt peace so many times through the Holy Ghost. I've felt him tell me that Jesus says, "It's all gonna be ok. Just trust. Be patient. Ponder. Let go. Know that I've already paid the price. You don't need to prove anything to me