Skip to main content

On Agency and Joy

I wonder if to some it feels counterintuitive that you can find long-lasting joy and exaltation by just “doing what you’re told” and keeping the commandments. 

It sometimes seems like you could potentially be happier by just living “your truth” or doing whatever makes you happy in the moment.


We aren’t forced to do anything. We are only invited. We make covenants of our own free will and choice. We can keep them and see if it makes us happier. I wonder if some people keep them (or at least say they are keeping them) and don’t ever feel that true joy. If so, how can that be? Why is that? Perhaps we aren’t even promised joy. Maybe we just THINK we are promised joy. Reviewing our covenants might be informative there.


I know that Elder Chrisofferson has said that keeping covenants brings joy in this life. Maybe there’s a difference between joy and happiness. Can't we find joy doing other things that aren't necessarily in line with the commandments of God? Like couldn't I find joy partaking of the most exquisite wine the finest French vineyards have to offer. Maybe there’s something to be said for the guidance in this scripture in 3 Nephi 27:11


11 But if it be not built upon my gospel, and is built upon the works of men, or upon the works of the devil, verily I say unto you they have joy in their works for a season, and by and by the end cometh, and they are hewn down and cast into the fire, from whence there is no return. 


There’s also an interesting scripture in Alma 30>>


22 And it came to pass that the high priest said unto him: Why do ye go about perverting the ways of the Lord? Why do ye teach this people that there shall be no Christ, to interrupt their rejoicings? Why do ye speak against all the prophecies of the holy prophets?


23 Now the high priest’s name was Giddonah. And Korihor said unto him: Because I do not teach the foolish traditions of your fathers, and because I do not teach this people to bind themselves down under the foolish ordinances and performances which are laid down by ancient priests, to usurp power and authority over them, to keep them in ignorance, that they may not lift up their heads, but be brought down according to thy words.


24 Ye say that this people is a free people. Behold, I say they are in bondage. Ye say that those ancient prophecies are true. Behold, I say that ye do not know that they are true.


27 And thus ye lead away this people after the foolish traditions of your fathers, and according to your own desires; and ye keep them down, even as it were in bondage, that ye may glut yourselves with the labors of their hands, that they durst not look up with boldness, and that they durst not enjoy their rights and privileges.


28 Yea, they durst not make use of that which is their own lest they should offend their priests, who do yoke them according to their desires, and have brought them to believe, by their traditions and their dreams and their whims and their visions and their pretended mysteries, that they should, if they did not do according to their words, offend some unknown being, who they say is God—a being who never has been seen or known, who never was nor ever will be.


Later in this recounting, Alma refutes all of Korihor’s claims and suggests that Korihor was possessed with a “lying spirit” and “put off the Spirit of God that it may have no place in you; but the devil has power over you, and he doth carry you about, working devices that he may destroy the children of God.”


Is it possible for people to feel “led” or “called” and think it’s coming from God but it’s actually coming from the devil? From a “lying spirit” or an unseen angel of the devil or something? How similar does it feel? 


In this extreme case, Korihor actually SAW the devil in the form of an angel. He actually came to him. But then after that, here is why he kept preaching false stuff…


I have taught his words; and I taught them because they were pleasing unto the carnal mind; and I taught them, even until I had much success, insomuch that I verily believed that they were true;


I find it very interesting that Korihor led himself to believe things that weren’t true because he was having success. Maybe people today see that same thing. Maybe it seems like since so many people are “successfully” leaving the church then their choices must be true or right. 


Another thought…


Does it ever seem like the blessings for obedience don’t even come in this life? If so, this makes it even tougher to be an obedient follower of Christ. It can feel like a bizarre belief for some that we are giving up things in this life to have more in the life to come. Some would say that “experiencing all the world has to offer” like the fine wines, alcohol, and even some drugs is where true human fulfillment is found. And perhaps that’s the case. But we aren’t just HUMAN beings. We are spiritual beings. 


But where does the human and spirit meet? Which things are spiritual urges and which are physical? Or are they all spiritual but even spiritual things need to be handled with moderation? I know that to GOD all things are spiritual (D&C 29:34). But what about the natural man? What about carnal, sensual, and devilish?


We’re taught that we are enemies to God in our natural man state. And we WILL be forever UNLESS we YIELD to the enticings of the Holy Spirit and put off the natural man and become a saint.


Mosiah 3:19


For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.


So, yes. To follow Christ is to be a little sheep and not a lion. It isn’t glamorous. It sometimes LOOKS childish and naive. It looks like you’re ignorant. But rather, you’re submissive. You’re willing to let him lead you, even when he’s leading you down a path that seems unpopular and not fully illuminated at every step. May I always be able to say “One step enough for me.”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cave of Mental Illness

This is an essay I wrote in the Winter 2014 Semester for my Western Humanities class. I felt like I needed to share it. It is a bit long, but I assure you it's worth your time. Also, take some time to watch the quick video at the end. Jacob Hansen Professor Julie Ransom IHUM 201 Connection to Major 10 April 2014 The Cave of Mental Illness A mere seven months ago I had a different perception of reality. I found myself, as psychologist Kay Jamison puts it, “ enmeshed totally in the blackest caves of the mind ” (68). I, like Jamison, suffer from bipolar disorder. I was diagnosed about twenty months into my mission. Though I was in this cave, during the manic episode I experienced I felt more creative and energetic than I ever had. I felt little need to sleep and could think and make connections very quickly. I understood the world differently than others, and, so I thought, at a higher level. It was as if I had discovered a new revolutionary way of living and I was conf

Struggles with Perfectionism

 There are some days when we're just not feeling it. Sometimes we feel that all the cute churchy answers are nice on the outside but that they're really not going to make anything better. Sometimes it feels like wishful thinking. It seems weak.  At times I just want to rest in God's love. I just want to feel my Savior next to me. Sometimes I feel him there. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes there's a lot of negativity towards and around the church. And sometimes I can see why. I do see some things that are troubling. What I always hang on to is my personal relationship with Jesus Christ and the gift of the Holy Ghost I've been given. I know that sounds cheesy to some. They don't think it's a real thing. But I have felt peace so many times through the Holy Ghost. I've felt him tell me that Jesus says, "It's all gonna be ok. Just trust. Be patient. Ponder. Let go. Know that I've already paid the price. You don't need to prove anything to me