Skip to main content

How We Spend Our Time

 I've been thinking a lot about how we only have a finite amount of time and energy in each day. And also about how we have a seemingly infinite number of things/distractions/priorities to choose from. But it's not just that we can choose them, but rather that they can choose us if we're not careful. I'm reminded of this quote from President Russell M. Nelson:

“We live in a world that is complex and increasingly contentious. The constant availability of social media and a 24-hour news cycle bombard us with relentless messages. If we are to have any hope of sifting through the myriad of voices and the philosophies of men that attack truth, we must learn to receive revelation.”

I also love this invitation from him:

"I plead with you to take a prayerful look at how you spend your time. Invest time in your future and in that of your family. If you have reasonable access to a temple, I urge you to find a way to make an appointment regularly with the Lord—to be in His holy house—then keep that appointment with exactness and joy. I promise you that the Lord will bring the miracles He knows you need as you make sacrifices to serve and worship in His temples."

Taking a prayerful look at how I spend my time is something I would like to do more often. The Spirit is very easily offended. And the more influences of the world I let into my life (especially through social media and the internet), the more I become numb to the Spirit. 

Speaking of the idea of feeling numb, I'm struck by these lyrics by David Archuleta:


I don't wanna feel numb

Falling over all of my shadows

Yeah I'm all done

'Cause none of that ever really mattered

It hurts to live so wide awake, oh

But it's a chance I can take

I won't run, run, run

… 'Cause I don't wanna feel numb


The part that hits me is this, "It hurts to live so wide awake...but it's a chance I can take....'cause I don't wanna feel numb."

It really does hurt to live wide awake. It opens us up to our own shortcomings. It opens us up for Jesus to come into our lives and painstakingly remove our imperfections. Self awareness is hard and it's not always desirable. Coming to terms with the fact that we are fallen, imperfect, mortal beings in fallible bodies can feel distressing. It can feel like we are losing control. We can feel hopelessly inadequate and incapable. 

Sometimes it's easier just to open up the flood gates of social media, numb ourselves, and just let the opinions of the world wash over us. It's so simple to get as it says in Ephesians 4:14 "carried about with every wind of doctrine by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;"

Going with the flow has never been easier. In modern America, we can very easily live in a state of numbness. We don't have to scavenge for our food. We don't even have to leave our homes to make a living. It's so easy to sit in front of multiple screens every day and just let ourselves be flooded with whatever is happening on a given day.

Intentionality has never been more critical to our spiritual survival. In fact, President Nelson has warned: 

"in coming days, it will not be possible to survive spiritually without the guiding, directing, comforting, and constant influence of the Holy Ghost."

And invited:

"My beloved brothers and sisters, I plead with you to increase your spiritual capacity to receive revelation."

It will NOT BE POSSIBLE to survive spiritually without the CONSTANT influence of the Holy Ghost. Those are some sobering words. It's not easy, but it's worth it. We must be intentional. We must watch ourselves as it says in Mosiah 4:30... 

But this much I can tell you, that if ye do not watch yourselves, and your thoughts, and your words, and your deeds, and observe the commandments of God, and continue in the faith of what ye have heard concerning the coming of our Lord, even unto the end of your lives, ye must perish. And now, O man, remember, and perish not.

In Lehi's vision, there were some who failed to hold fast to the rod because they got distracted, and perhaps disillusioned and scared by the mist of darkness. Others got all the way to the tree and partook of the fruit but then fell away after they were mocked by those of the world. Elder Bednar talks more about all the groups here

I think it's interesting to note that there was a group that did it. That made it. And THEN fell away. This seems to imply that none of us our safe from the temptations of the world and the adversary. Even those of us who served missions and invited people to come and grab hold of the rod are susceptible. Let's not get slothful as it says in Alma 37:36 because of the easiness of the way or sit back and be complacent thinking as it says in 2 Nephi 28:21 that Zion prospereth and all is well. 

This all feels like gloom and doom at times. The Lord speaks in plainness. He's very clear when it comes to the basic truths of the gospel and what we must do to be saved. Our God gives stern warnings. But he also gives promises. He promises that if we are faithful we will have ALL that he has (D&C 84:38). I can't think of a much grander promise than one that everything the God of the universe has will be ours. That's powerful. He loving invites us to "look unto (him) in every thought and doubt not and fear not (D&C 6:36). We can do it. Our Savior is there. Sometimes he feels distant. Sometimes mental health challenges make it hard for us to feel his love. But with the effort, time, and sacrifice we make, we will find him. He is there.

Something important to remember in all this is that God and our Savior are not there to condemn us. Jesus is there to plead for us. He is our perfect advocate

God's entire work and glory is to bring to pass our immortality and eternal life. That's his primary and arguably only goal. Think of that. And think about how he has sent his son to make that possible and given us the opportunity to have the constant companionship of the third member of the godhead, the Holy Ghost. 

I know our Father lives. And loves us too. The Spirit whispers this to me and tells me it is true. He sent me here to earth, by faith, to live his plan. The Spirit whispers this to me and tells me that I can. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cave of Mental Illness

This is an essay I wrote in the Winter 2014 Semester for my Western Humanities class. I felt like I needed to share it. It is a bit long, but I assure you it's worth your time. Also, take some time to watch the quick video at the end. Jacob Hansen Professor Julie Ransom IHUM 201 Connection to Major 10 April 2014 The Cave of Mental Illness A mere seven months ago I had a different perception of reality. I found myself, as psychologist Kay Jamison puts it, “ enmeshed totally in the blackest caves of the mind ” (68). I, like Jamison, suffer from bipolar disorder. I was diagnosed about twenty months into my mission. Though I was in this cave, during the manic episode I experienced I felt more creative and energetic than I ever had. I felt little need to sleep and could think and make connections very quickly. I understood the world differently than others, and, so I thought, at a higher level. It was as if I had discovered a new revolutionary way of living and I was conf

Struggles with Perfectionism

 There are some days when we're just not feeling it. Sometimes we feel that all the cute churchy answers are nice on the outside but that they're really not going to make anything better. Sometimes it feels like wishful thinking. It seems weak.  At times I just want to rest in God's love. I just want to feel my Savior next to me. Sometimes I feel him there. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes there's a lot of negativity towards and around the church. And sometimes I can see why. I do see some things that are troubling. What I always hang on to is my personal relationship with Jesus Christ and the gift of the Holy Ghost I've been given. I know that sounds cheesy to some. They don't think it's a real thing. But I have felt peace so many times through the Holy Ghost. I've felt him tell me that Jesus says, "It's all gonna be ok. Just trust. Be patient. Ponder. Let go. Know that I've already paid the price. You don't need to prove anything to me