Skip to main content

Black Lives Matter, But What's the Next Step?

By now, it's clear more people are aware that police brutality against African Americans is a problem. That's no secret.

And yes, it's great that awareness seems to have spread. It's not bad that people are protesting. Or that they're making a post about how Black Lives Matter. In fact, it's good. It's the evidence that we're aware. And it shows in at least some way that we're willing to stand against this injustice.

What I think we need to remember is what we are protesting.

What's the real issue?

What the specific incident (and frankly numerous others in the last short while) brought up is the issue of police brutality and profiling against African Americans. I'm not saying it's the only issue, but it's the one that most directly ties to what happened.

So it's great that you personally believe that black lives matter. But at the end of the day, that doesn't get to solving the root problem. It's a step in the right direction. But if you believe that there's an issue, then what are you going to do about it. What can you and I do about it from our position as regular citizens?

To me it seems the root of the problem is unacceptable behavior by some police. And mind you, it's not all police, but certain ones in certain locales. This is a local issue. It's an individual issue. Are there racist police in every police department? Maybe, but maybe not. My main point is that not every single police officer is racist.

So what can we do about it? Well, we can vote for the right people. Who controls the police? The  attorney general. When was the last time you took serious thought when you voted for this person?

I believe that Americans in general are good people. There are exceptions. And there are pockets where racism is most definitely a plague. But I believe that in large part we are not racist as a country. A handful (or maybe more than a handful) of police are. And their actions have revealed a plague that's been hidden in plain sight. The video shows indisputable evidence that a police officer killed a black man in an appalling way.

Slavery happened

I've often heard someone ask a white person if they'd rather be black or white. And they say white. And just the fact that they say that means there is indeed racial inequality. This is true. And why is it true? Because slavery indeed happened. And the effects of that are still being felt today. Did white people do this? Yes. But we didn't. It was our ancestors. At least that's the mentality for many whites today. And is it true in many cases that me and my white neighbor are not racist. Yes. But does it change the fact that our people at some point wrongly abused and even owned Blacks? No it does not. 

So regardless of why it happened or if it was our fault, it is our duty to fix it. To be part of the solution. Let's stop pointing fingers and start taking action. We can't change the past, but we can rewrite the future.

How do we solve the issue of police brutality against African Americans?

So what is it that is causing these police to act this way? Fear? A messed up childhood? Trauma or habits from a war? I've heard that many were soldiers in Iraq.

We need to start with accountability for current law enforcement officers. But before that, we need to have the right people on the police force. And even before that, we need parents teaching children how they should treat their brothers and sisters. We need brave men and women of integrity who aren't afraid to do the right thing. We need people with a conscience. People who love their neighbor regardless of color. That's easier said than done.

So let's vote for the right people. And if we are in a position to do so, run for office. We need courageous people to step forward and run. People with a conscience. Is that you? Then do it.

But back to me as a regular citizen. In addition to voting for the right people, I can love. I can be more than just "not racist" but actually be "anti-racist." The best hope I have is to be an example. Be a leader. And not just by my words, but by my actions. I'm not sure what those actions are in their entirety. What I do know is that I can love every person and do some small thing to let them know I care.

What is the solution?

Ultimately the solution is Christ. I know that sounds like a cop out. But in all reality, it's our only way out. And I'm not denying the fact that there are incredibly complex issues to wrestle with. But to put it bluntly, we're all damned without Jesus Christ and what he's done for us. And once we understand that, we feel different, and we act differently. We're all utterly lost without Jesus. We'd have no chance. We'd be doomed to hell. And that sounds harsh, but it's the humbling reality. And that's what we need more of today. We need more humility. More realization of our complete dependence on God for our living breath.

We are all nothing. But because of Christ, we all have the opportunity to be everything. To have it all. Someday. Even if not in this life. But only if we give our all to him. And how do we do that? Inasmuch as we do it unto our brothers, we do it to him.

We all must love our brothers. Every one of them. For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son. Love is the only reason that any of us have a chance. And love is what we need to share with others. And we can pray with all the energy of our hearts to be filled with God's love. If our intentions are good, he will grant us that love to share with our brothers and sisters. Let's go to our knees. Let's plead for understanding and humility and charity.

The solution starts with awareness, it's sustained by love, and it's only possible through Jesus Christ. He knows us. He loves us. He knows me. He knows you. In fact, he's the only one who knows exactly what every person is feeling. Why? Because he experienced it in the Garden of Gethsemane when he atoned for every sin, heartache, and injustice that any individual in the world has experienced, is currently experiencing, or ever will experience. How is that possible? As a mortal being, I cannot begin to fathom it. But as an individual child of God, I can feel deeply and personally that his sacrifice and love means he understands me. And he can help me. And that through the Holy Spirit he can guide me to know what I can do.

He knows exactly what I'm going through. I only understand that as I go to him. You can too, but it's a personal thing.

So again, as we seek solutions, let's all go to the ultimate source of peace and understanding and compassion and humility and wisdom. Let's go to Jesus Christ. Because at the end of the day, he's really the only hope we have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cave of Mental Illness

This is an essay I wrote in the Winter 2014 Semester for my Western Humanities class. I felt like I needed to share it. It is a bit long, but I assure you it's worth your time. Also, take some time to watch the quick video at the end. Jacob Hansen Professor Julie Ransom IHUM 201 Connection to Major 10 April 2014 The Cave of Mental Illness A mere seven months ago I had a different perception of reality. I found myself, as psychologist Kay Jamison puts it, “ enmeshed totally in the blackest caves of the mind ” (68). I, like Jamison, suffer from bipolar disorder. I was diagnosed about twenty months into my mission. Though I was in this cave, during the manic episode I experienced I felt more creative and energetic than I ever had. I felt little need to sleep and could think and make connections very quickly. I understood the world differently than others, and, so I thought, at a higher level. It was as if I had discovered a new revolutionary way of living and I was conf

Struggles with Perfectionism

 There are some days when we're just not feeling it. Sometimes we feel that all the cute churchy answers are nice on the outside but that they're really not going to make anything better. Sometimes it feels like wishful thinking. It seems weak.  At times I just want to rest in God's love. I just want to feel my Savior next to me. Sometimes I feel him there. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes there's a lot of negativity towards and around the church. And sometimes I can see why. I do see some things that are troubling. What I always hang on to is my personal relationship with Jesus Christ and the gift of the Holy Ghost I've been given. I know that sounds cheesy to some. They don't think it's a real thing. But I have felt peace so many times through the Holy Ghost. I've felt him tell me that Jesus says, "It's all gonna be ok. Just trust. Be patient. Ponder. Let go. Know that I've already paid the price. You don't need to prove anything to me