Skip to main content

Hymns Turn Us to Him

Here are some of the hymns that have been going through my mind today.

This one isn't in the LDS hymn book, but it has a really awesome message. It is called "He Knows Me Better."

Lyrics:
Feels like I've only got 
a piece of the picture 
I'm trying to figure out 
just where I fit here 
There is one who sees 
all I'm meant to be 

In a world of voices 
that say they have the answer 
I escape the noises 
and close my eyes 
and I turn 
to the one who sees 
all the pieces put together 
He knows me better 

Sometimes I can't see past 
what's on the surface 
He helps me understand 
the depth of my purpose 
Gives me faith to hold 
as my path unfolds 


He knows everyone 
of us 
is learning as we go 
His love is the compass 
that guides us 




Another one that I love is, "Lord, I would Follow Thee." I love the part that talks about loving our brother because "in the quiet heart is hidden sorrow that the eye can't see." Someone in church talked about having FOMO (Fear of Missing Out), but in a Godly sense. What if we were to be afraid to not make someone's day? What if we were afraid we would forget to reach out to someone who most needed our help?

"I have wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to somebody's need made me blind; But I never have yet felt a tinge of regret for being a little too kind." This is an anonymous quote, but it has often been cited by President Thomas S. Monson. There is something very powerful in its simplicity.

I never ceased to be amazed at how music can touch the soul in such a personal and powerful way. I love listening to music and I love creating it as well. I love how I can pour my feelings about my Savior out through my fingers and into the music produced by the piano. Obviously, I can never put into words the gratitude I feel for his love for me, but I hope that others can grow closer to him at least in a small way when I play the piano. I know I certainly do draw close to him as I play hymns.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure why I wrote this post, but I know that it is important and that music is powerful. I would invite any who read this to consider the power of uplifting music of any variety. Listen to it. Produce it. Share it. Spread it. The world has never needed it more.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cave of Mental Illness

This is an essay I wrote in the Winter 2014 Semester for my Western Humanities class. I felt like I needed to share it. It is a bit long, but I assure you it's worth your time. Also, take some time to watch the quick video at the end. Jacob Hansen Professor Julie Ransom IHUM 201 Connection to Major 10 April 2014 The Cave of Mental Illness A mere seven months ago I had a different perception of reality. I found myself, as psychologist Kay Jamison puts it, “ enmeshed totally in the blackest caves of the mind ” (68). I, like Jamison, suffer from bipolar disorder. I was diagnosed about twenty months into my mission. Though I was in this cave, during the manic episode I experienced I felt more creative and energetic than I ever had. I felt little need to sleep and could think and make connections very quickly. I understood the world differently than others, and, so I thought, at a higher level. It was as if I had discovered a new revolutionary way of living and I was conf

Struggles with Perfectionism

 There are some days when we're just not feeling it. Sometimes we feel that all the cute churchy answers are nice on the outside but that they're really not going to make anything better. Sometimes it feels like wishful thinking. It seems weak.  At times I just want to rest in God's love. I just want to feel my Savior next to me. Sometimes I feel him there. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes there's a lot of negativity towards and around the church. And sometimes I can see why. I do see some things that are troubling. What I always hang on to is my personal relationship with Jesus Christ and the gift of the Holy Ghost I've been given. I know that sounds cheesy to some. They don't think it's a real thing. But I have felt peace so many times through the Holy Ghost. I've felt him tell me that Jesus says, "It's all gonna be ok. Just trust. Be patient. Ponder. Let go. Know that I've already paid the price. You don't need to prove anything to me