Skip to main content

Feel Alone? So did He

Last week in my New Testament we talked about Christ's suffering for our sins, sorrows and sicknesses in Gethsemane. The subject seemed especially relevant since final projects and tests are starting to pile up. Last week was a very hectic one for me and I was under some pressure. It was comforting to know that Jesus Christ felt perfectly every stressful situation I have gone through, am going through, or will ever go through.

Jesus Christ was perfect, but that's not to see he didn't feel at least somewhat apprehensive when he was nearing the time of his ultimate suffering and sacrifice. Brother Griffin made an interesting point when we read Mark 14:32-36. He pointed out that since Christ was perfect he had never felt the intense guilt and sorrow for sin. He had never even committed a little sin, let alone feel the collective remorse and bitterness of conscience of the vilest sins of the entire human race.

Jesus feels sobered by the immense task of the Atonement that he is close to undertaking."And saith unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death: tarry ye here, and watch" (Mark 14:34). It is reassuring to know that even Christ felt overwhelmed once. When he felt this he turned first to his closest friends (his disciples) and when they could not support him he turned to his Father.

"And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt" (Mark 14:36). Though his Father loved him, even he left him comfortless for a moment before sending an angel to comfort him.

When we feel completely alone and overwhelmed, we can take comfort in knowing that Christ overcame all. Though we may feel far from the Father for a moment, in this life we will never know how it feels to have ALL support taken away. No matter how alone we feel, Christ understands. He doesn't take away our sorrows immediately, for if he did we would never grow. He is there. He suffers when we suffer and he weeps when we weep. Because of him, we will never walk alone.

I know he lives and I know he has been there with me at times when I have felt alone. I am grateful for those hard times because they help me appreciate his sacrifice a little bit more. Let us never forget that because of Christ we can conquer all sorrow and sin. With his help we can return to live with our loving Father in Heaven where we will never again feel alone.



                                    A beautiful message from a living Apostle of Jesus Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cave of Mental Illness

This is an essay I wrote in the Winter 2014 Semester for my Western Humanities class. I felt like I needed to share it. It is a bit long, but I assure you it's worth your time. Also, take some time to watch the quick video at the end. Jacob Hansen Professor Julie Ransom IHUM 201 Connection to Major 10 April 2014 The Cave of Mental Illness A mere seven months ago I had a different perception of reality. I found myself, as psychologist Kay Jamison puts it, “ enmeshed totally in the blackest caves of the mind ” (68). I, like Jamison, suffer from bipolar disorder. I was diagnosed about twenty months into my mission. Though I was in this cave, during the manic episode I experienced I felt more creative and energetic than I ever had. I felt little need to sleep and could think and make connections very quickly. I understood the world differently than others, and, so I thought, at a higher level. It was as if I had discovered a new revolutionary way of living and I was conf

Struggles with Perfectionism

 There are some days when we're just not feeling it. Sometimes we feel that all the cute churchy answers are nice on the outside but that they're really not going to make anything better. Sometimes it feels like wishful thinking. It seems weak.  At times I just want to rest in God's love. I just want to feel my Savior next to me. Sometimes I feel him there. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes there's a lot of negativity towards and around the church. And sometimes I can see why. I do see some things that are troubling. What I always hang on to is my personal relationship with Jesus Christ and the gift of the Holy Ghost I've been given. I know that sounds cheesy to some. They don't think it's a real thing. But I have felt peace so many times through the Holy Ghost. I've felt him tell me that Jesus says, "It's all gonna be ok. Just trust. Be patient. Ponder. Let go. Know that I've already paid the price. You don't need to prove anything to me